Saturday, November 8, 2008

Beggining of a First-Person Story:

Night at the Cemetery

Ghosts? Haha! I used to laugh at the sheer prospect of them. I mean who the hell could believe in such things, the spirits of the dead coming back because of some unfulfilled desire? Bullshit!

This is what I thought before Friday night. That night changed my life for ever.

“Come on man, don’t be such a pussy!” I urged Zack.
“Look man, I have no problem with you guys going off and getting yourselves into all kinds of shit, just don’t drag me into it!” Zack answered in a firm voice.
“Dude, there are no such things as Evil Spirits…oooh!” I replied mockingly.
“Yeah Z, come on dude, we’ll all have a laugh” Urged Rob.

And so continued this conversation until we convinced Zack to come along with us to the graveyard by Brown Avenue. It was supposed to be an unforgettable night, full of drinking and teenage stupidity with a couple ghost stories thrown in. The best Halloween night ever, spending the night in an old spooky graveyard with nothing but our sleeping bags, a couple flashlights and of course, underage drinking.

We were a group of four. Zack, Rob, Jane and me, Mark Zimmerman. All of us were 17 at the time, except for Rob who turned 18 a couple days before Halloween. It had been an arduous job to get Zack to come along, but after mentioning that Jane was coming it wasn’t so hard, he had a huge crush on her and wherever she went he was soon to follow.

Our plan was ready a couple days before Halloween and now all we had to do was wait. I was planning on scaring the shit out of Zack as he was the only one who truly believed all this ghost stuff and was scared shitless of going to the graveyard in the day let alone spend a night in one. During these couple boring days of waiting around for Halloween to come I elaborated a plan with Rob and Jane to fuck with our pal.

“Alright, so Jane, you distract him and me and Rob will go off with the excuse of having to pee. During this time you’ll make him forget we’re gone and we’ll set it up.” I explained the plan to Jane. The basics of it was to have enough time to place our small speakers around our “camping site” without innocent Zack getting suspicious. You see, the graveyard is surrounded by woods, making it all the more cliché type eerie, which was perfect for spooking Zack. Me and Rob would go take a piss and place a couple of portable speakers in the woods, close to our sleeping place. We had just finished recording a vast number of spooky yet subtle sounds. A variety of shuffling leaves, branches braking under footsteps, a couple ghostly moans and one or two distant screams of pain. This was sure to scare the shit out of Zack. We would all play along and get the living fuck scared out of him. This was gonna be great!

“Ok, but how am I supposed to keep him interested for so long?” asked Jane.
“I don’t know Jane, come on, you have the easiest job of all!” I said.
“Oh, just use your boob charm, that’s bound to entertain him for a while” added Rob with a laugh, always with his retarded comments.
“Oh fuck you…” was her answer.
“Come on baby, you know it works, haha!” came Rob’s reply.

***
Finally, Halloween came. Everything was ready. We were in Rob’s car, on our way to the cemetery.
“Hey, have you guys seen Eagle Eye yet? ‘Cause you know, there’s a show playing at the mall in like 30 minutes and I’m feeling generous, we could go. I’ll pay…” Zack said, trying to worm his way out of the night.
“Yeah, we’ve all seen it man, as a matter of fact, we saw it with you dude, you’re not squirming your way out of this Zack!” said Rob. Zack’s face twisted in a slight worry.
“Dude, you’re putting too much importance on the graveyard man! Just chill, imagine we’re camping on a beautiful hill, full of bunnies and they’re all fluffy and stuff!” I said.
“That’s so gay bro.” Said Rob.
“Oh shut the fuck up man, you want him to leave?” I said.
“Sorry…Bunnies Zack! Isn’t that just awesome!” said Rob with mocking enthusiasm. Zack just sighed and looked out the window.
“Come on Zack, it’ll be fun” encouraged Jane.
“Yeah you’re probably right” he said, easily convinced by her.

***
12:06 p.m. The fire is set, we’re all in our sleeping bags, telling ghost stories, me and Rob are getting ready to set everything up, when I say “I gotta go pee” everything will start.
“…and now, every Halloween night you can hear her moaning in the woods for the lost life of her children, some say you can even hear their cries of pain as they were brutally murdered by the serial killers as well.” Rob finished up his story.

Already I could see lines of worry in Zack’s face as he regretted ever coming. This was the perfect moment to strike.

“I gotta go pee” I said.

No comments: